Explore the Beauty of the Jurassic Coast
Set in the pretty town of Charmouth with a glorious beach only 5 minutes walk away, beautiful coastal walks, and market towns like Bridport to idly wander around, The Abbots House is the perfect base if you want to explore the South West.
The popular coastal town of Lyme Regis is a 5 minute drive to the West, with frequent buses also serving the route. Further afield, the cathedral city of Exeter offers plenty of shopping opportunities in its newly redeveloped centre with national chains and independent boutique and designer stores.
Alternatively, if you want to sit in front of the fire reading a good book, before retiring to the comfort of your spacious room for a quiet nap and a long bath, you can just make yourself at home.
Here are some videos filmed mostly by Nick about the area:
Some more ideas for things to do in the local area:
- Go for a coastal walk along the stunning Jurassic Coast or the Marshwood Vale – contact Marshwood Trails for walking tours and cycle rides. www.marshwoodtrails.co.uk
- Sample the abundance of fresh, local produce at Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall’s Food Store in Axminster, or one of the many local farmer’s markets.
- Discover some of the beautiful countryside of South and West Dorset which inspired the works of literary greats, such as Jane Austen, Thomas Hardy and John Fowles. www.literarylyme.co.uk
- Try out a woodworking course. www.mallinson.co.uk/
- Wander around one of the art galleries, antique shops and boutiques, in the neighbouring towns of Bridport and Honiton.
Do something different and try out fishing or scuba diving from West Bay or Lyme Regis.
- Be entertained at the Marine Theatre in Lyme Regis.
Other things to do …
Antiques & Bric-a-Brac
Selection of shops in High Street
Warehouse by River Exe with several floors of various bric-a-brac
St Michaels Trading Estate
Street Market Wednesday and Saturday
Please note – If you are going to River Cottage – Park Farm by taxi, it is important to book a taxi in advance.
Floyds Taxis Charmouth
01297 560 733
Lyme Regis Taxis
07900 69 85 69