These cigar-shaped sticks are lighter than a traditional cheese straw. They are great to take on a picnic as children can grab one whilst playing and it doesn’t matter about the crispy filo pastry dropping everywhere!
Prep time: 15minutes
Cook time: 10-15minutes
Total time: 25-30 minutes
6 large sheets ready-made filo pastry
25g butter, melted
3tbsp olive oil
50g Parmesan or 75g mature cheddar cheese, finely grated
- Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 6, 200°C.
- Unwrap the pastry and cover with cling film. Place one sheet on a work surface.
- Stir together the melted butter and oil and brush a little of it all over the filo.
- Now sprinkle over a heaped spoonful of the cheese and add a pinch of paprika.
- Fold the pastry in half widthways, press down to remove any air bubbles, then tightly roll it up lengthways to form a thin cylinder.
- Cut this in half to make two straws that are each about 15cm long. Place on a lightly greased baking sheet, then repeat with the remaining pastry.
- Brush the straws all over with more of the butter mixture, then bake for 10-12 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Set aside on kitchen paper to absorb any excess oil, and allow to cool before serving.
- The straws will keep in an airtight container for 2 days and may e refreshed quickly in the oven. They freeze well before baking.