(Makes 1 loaf)
400g strong white bread flour
5g easy-bake yeast
15g melted butter
200g cold porridge
250g water, approximately
1 tbsp oatmeal
- Put the flour, salt, yeast, sugar, butter and porridge in a mixing bowl.
- Add the water. Cold water is fine as a slower prove will improve the bread.
- Give the ingredients a good mix with a metal spoon. The dough should feel wet.
- Cover the dough with a clean, damp tea towel and leave to rest on the worktop for an hour or more, until it has roughly doubled in size.
- Turn the dough out on to a lightly oiled surface and knock it back, pushing, folding and turning it back in on itself for a minute or so.
- Shape the loaf and place it at the bottom of a 900g loaf tin lined with greaseproof paper. Cover with a damp tea towel and rest for a further 30-45 minutes.
- Heat the oven to 190C/gas mark 6
- After resting, the dough should have not quite doubled in size.
- Sprinkle over the oatmeal.
- Cook the loaf for approximately 25-30 minutes until cooked through.
- Turn out on to a wire rack and rest the loaf before cutting.